- In the days before its “flagship event”, a military charity censors its website, preventing scrutiny of its activities…
- Soldiering On Through Life Trust (SOTLT) is a military charity that acts as a political lobbyist, offering “access” to “government” for cash. “Meet the PM and other MPs”, says its corporate brochure. The charity/political lobbyist is at the heart of government.
- SOTLT gives the impression that it directly supports “heroes”, but in fact it doesn’t. Rather, it in turn donates funds to other military charities – very inefficiently. In 2012, it donated only 8.3% (i.e. £15 000) of its £180 564 income to military charities. So for whom exactly is the charity raising funds?
- For my investigation into the activities of SOTLT, published 3 March 2014, see https://dralexmay.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/soldiering-on-through-life-trust-charity-or-political-lobbyist/.
- On 27 March 2014, SOTLT announced on Twitter (@soldieringontlt) the launch of its “fab” new website, with a link to http://www.soldieringon.org. This is the same address as the old website.
- My investigation showed that SOTLT shouldn’t have been selling raffle tickets – for its Grand Raffle 2013 – to the public in central Manchester 14 November 2013. On its “fab” new website, the page for the raffle has disappeared. (http://www.soldieringon.org/grand-raffle.html)
- The sponsors page has also vanished. (http://www.soldieringon.org/sponsors.html) This means that the corporate brochure is no longer publicly available on the SOTLT website.
- The new website may be “fab”, but censoring previously published information only undermines confidence and trust in SOTLT.
- But it’s worse than that. On 5 April 2014, the charity holds its “flagship event”, the annual SOTLT Awards Night. (https://dralexmay.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/soldiering-on-through-life-trust-charity-or-political-lobbyist/) As it garners maximum publicity, aided by “headline” sponsor the Sunday Mirror newspaper, SOTLT acts to prevent scrutiny of its activities.